Question regarding the use of Omnisphere

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question regarding the use of Omnisphere

Post  yairhol on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:33 am

Hello,
I have a question regarding how to use Omnisphere efficiently.
Let's say I have a pad in Omni playing througout a song and then I would like to add
some bells here and there. Do I need to open a new instance of Omni on a seperate track
or can I use the existing instance and somehow add those bells using that?
I'm only starting to understand Omnisphere and have never used virtual synths in a complicated arrangement with more than one sound per instrument.

Thanks.

yairhol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question regarding the use of Omnisphere

Post  Mulperi on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:51 am

You can use that same instance. Use stack mode just if you were making a normal split.
For example you have your pad on patch 1 and bell sound on patch number 2.
Activate STACK-mode and define where you want your pad sound to be on the keyboard so for example it will sound only when you are playing the lower octaves and bell sound only on upper octaves.
On patch edit page you can edit the patch's octave so even if you play from the "wrong octave" it will be ok.

Sorry if I didn't explain it very well Smile

Naturally this method doesn't work if you need to use all the notes of the keyboard with one particular sound.
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 am

every part in a multi corresponds to its own midichannel.
simply create a second track in cubase and send midichannel 2 to the 2nd part in Omnisphere.
Click on the number 2 and load a bell patch for that part.
Since Omnisphere uses some ram for the gui this is one way to save some ram.
when you only have 2 GB every little thing might help.

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  yairhol on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks you two.
Mulperi, you have a nice idea but the drawback (if I understand correctly) is that the midi part will be written in one track on one midi part which can make things look unclear.
Hans, you have a very good point there which I didn't know we could do with Omni. I don't know yet how to do what you said but it's good to know that there is this possiblity. It keeps the midi parts organized in different tracks while still using 1 instance of Omni. I'll have to explore this.
In fact I asked spectrum (Eric) to do a video tutorial about these kinds of possibilities so maybe he'll do that.
Thanks.

yairhol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:35 pm

Just watch the overview tutorial video. It explains the architecture of Omnisphere regarding Multi/parts/patches/layers.
Dont know about Cubase but in Logic i have to set the track to send on all channels and then simply send the appropiate midichannel from my controller to trigger the corresponding part in Omnisphere.
The 8 parts are preassigned to MIDI channels 1-8.
Its a really simple but very effective concept.

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulperi on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 am

Thank you! I am still learning too Smile
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PT on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:39 am

This is how I do it in ProTools
I know the procedure will not be the same for Logic or Cubase users, but at least it should give some ideas.
Lets say you work on a session where you need 4 tracks of Omnisphere.
You start by creating 4 Instrument tracks (1 - 4)
Only on track 1 I instantiate Omnisphere. By default it will send to midi ch. 1 in omnisphere and audio will be returned on Omnisphere outputs A
On track 2 have midioutput routed to Omnisphere ch. 2 and make the audio return on plug in bus 2 (that corresponds to Omnisphere outputs B)
Track 3 midi sends to Omnisphere ch. 3 and returns audio on plug in bus 3 (Omnisphere outputs C)
Track 4 midi sends to Omnisphere ch. 4 and returns audio on plug in bus 4 (Omnisphere outputs D)
Now choose the sounds you want for Omnisphere parts 1 to 4 and go to the mixerpage and set the audio returns (part 1 output A), (part 2 output B), (part 3 output C) , (part 4 output D)
So far so good - the Omnisphere parts can now be switched by selecting the corresponding track in ProTools, and you can record your parts on each individual track.
I am not saying this is the only way to do it, but it works very well for me.
Omnisphere sounds amazing have fun

Cheers

PT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulperi on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:42 am

Any idea on how to do this in FLStudio ?
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PT on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:52 am

Sorry - havent a single clue about FL Studio
Maybe someone else can chime in here ?

Cheers

PT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yairhol on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:13 am

Great ideas people but still many things are not clear to me (lifetime to explore? I hope not).
1. I've managed to set part 1 from Omni (out A in mixer) on midi track 1, part 2 from Omni (out A in mixer) on midi track 2 and part 3 from Omni (out A in mixer) on midi track 3. Now each midi track corresponds to 1 part in Omni. My question is if I can use the great feature that's found in stack mode where I can set the different parts to play from key X to key Y linearly fading in from X to Y and not have the parts play across the entire keyboard in equal volume? I cannot turn on stack mode since then I hear all the parts in each of the midi tracks.

2. When I set up the same project but with 2 Omni instances (1 Omni has 2 parts in stack mode and 1 Omni has 1 part), I get a slightly lower PF (paging file) memory usage than when I have only 1 instance of Omni with different midi tracks assigned to it. How can that be? shouldn't I be saving memory when having only 1 Omni instead of 2?

Thanks.

yairhol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeC22 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 am

Mulperi wrote:Any idea on how to do this in FLStudio ?
I'm at work at the mo, so I can't check if this is actually right or not, but I think you might be able to do it by adding Omnisphere to a channel and then setting the Omnisphere Plugin to be a specific Port number (Port option in the top right hand corner). Then add a "Midi Out" instance on the other channels and send those to the same port as you used in the Omnisphere Plugin. Just choose a different Midi Channel on each instance of the "Midi Out".

I use this technique to send multiple channels to my Korg Triton, so it should work with Omnisphere too. I won't be able to check till tonight though, so it's a guess from memory.

Edit: Just to update on this ^^^ It will work like this.

In the test I did, I set up Omnisphere on Port 3 (I already have 0, 1 & 2 used, so 3 was the next available port).
Then I added a Midi Out, and also set that to Port 3 and the Channel to 1
Then I added a 2nd Midi Out, again, set that to Port 3 and the Channel to 2

In Omnisphere, go to Multi>Mixer and you wil see the 8 parts, all with their channels already set as 1 to 8. Just pick a patch to go into each channel and when you enter MIDI data onto the tracks containing the Midi Out controllers, it will be sent to the corresponding channel in Omnisphere.

You can add up to 8 Midi-Outs per instance of Omnisphere. If you want 16 tracks, then you will need to add a 2nd instance of Omnisphere and change the channel numbers to 9 - 16, instead of 1 - 8. Then you can add a further 8 Midi Outs to control those channels.

Last edited by LeeC22 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info added.)

LeeC22

View user profile http://www.digital-essence.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum