Omnisphere Review + track by Whiz Bang

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Omnisphere Review + track by Whiz Bang

Post  whiz bang on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:41 pm

As promised, I'm back to share my thoughts on Omnisphere.

I created my first track with it yesterday, a cue for the villian of a local movie project. I also used Stylus RMX and it's groove lock feature (thanks for the help, Hans!) which worked flawlessly with Omnisphere's arpeggiator. My host sequencer was Apple Logic.

Learning how to use Omnisphere has taken a few afternoons. Right away, I wanted to select a single instrument from it's library. But to access these instruments, you must first select a mode you want to play in. For example, Live Mode and Stacked Mode. From there, you can select from a list of patches. Once you select a patch, you can edit parameters, swap out an instrument with another one, mute an instrument, or adjust the gain of an instrument.
I've finally figured out how to get to where I want to go, most of the time. Some effects are more difficult to find with all of the options available. If you want to suspend your strings, choirs or pianos, and let the sound gradually fade away, you may need to dig around for a while.
(I personally recommend Reason for pianos).
For the 40GB library, there are some beautiful, awe-inspring sounds, and I always find myself wishing I could use the next sound I find in my current project. However, probably half of this library is a little unnecessary in my opinion. You could trim a lot of it away and still satisfy the genres it was intended for. At 40GB, an economical installation option would have been better for me, personally.
I'm using an 8 core Mac Pro with (currently) 2GB of RAM. In Logic 8, I was able to open up about 7 instances of Omnisphere. After that, I started getting system overload messages. The track I've enclosed used about 3 instances of Omnisphere simultaneously: The arpeggiated music box, the choir, and the Sine (water drop) effect. The rhythm was my fourth track, done with RMX.
I feel like I've really gotten my money's worth for Omnisphere. The sounds rule, but the STEAM engine is quite a resource hog.

Omnisphere Track: "Shadow"

am
whiz bang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Omnisphere Review + track by Whiz Bang

Post  Mulperi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:50 am

Yes I agree, I don't need hi quality sounds of african children playing. But maybe someone does... Smile
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:49 am

actually i used that exact sample of the african children in one of my tracks.
It adds a very unique texture to the intro especially after i treated it with the granular function and added some effects.
In a 43 GB collection there will always be some samples that not evrybody has some immediate use for but in the right situation and with the right treatment you can get amazing sounding results out of them.

Cool track of yours Whizbang. I like the sine sound that youused. What is the name of that patch?
Not sure what you mean with "But to access these instruments, you must first select a mode you want to play in. For example, Live Mode and Stacked Mode"
You can simply select any sound from the browser for part one and start to play. No need to go to Live or Stack mode first.
Each part in Omnisphere represents a seperate MIDI Channel.
All you need to do is send the right channel from your controller keyboard.

The reason why there is nothing like a lite install is that this would break a lot of the presetpatches. The patch designers were free to use whatever soundsource is available in the corelibrary to create those presets.
If you could erase all the sound sources that seem to be not to your liking you would find yourself in a situation where many of the preset patches would sound diifferent or wouldnt load at all.
If youstudy the presets you will find that many of them make very creative use of the soundsources often to a point were you cannot recognize the original source at all!
So dont give up on those exotic and strange sources-they are all there for a reason!

Basketball
Hans

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  whiz bang on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Hans,

Not sure about that patch's name off the top of my head (I'm at the library currently) but I think the patch had the word "chill" in it. As in "chill out" or something. I muted everything in that patch except for the sine that caught your ear, so you might need to hold down on a few notes on that patch for a while before you hear the sine chime in.

What you said about having a lite version makes sense. I didn't even think about that. Anyway, I hope you find that sound.

am
whiz bang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum