Omnisphere and guitars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Omnisphere and guitars

Post  moon on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:00 am

Hello fellow 'spherics. Mine hasn't actually arrived yet but I look forward to exchanging notes with other guitar/Omnisphere practitioners when it does.

Nice looking forum and I'm proud to be an early member.
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Omnisphere and guitars

Post  Casar1973 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:29 am

Hello and welcome aboard Moon!

I just got my copy but havenīt installed it yet. I too am interested in the guitar/omni connection since I am mainly a guitar guy with a soft spot for cool synth sounds. It would have been interesting if you could load your guitar chops into Omni and co-process them with all the thingies inside...maybe one for the future?

Casar1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 am

From the FAQ:

Is it possible to import my own samples into Omnisphere?
Not initially. While the first release of Omnisphere does not support user import of samples, we understand how cool that would be and certainly wouldn't rule that out for the future.
Most importantly, the concept of Omnisphere is completely different than a typical sampler. Omnisphere is an incredibly deep synthesizer with a massive Core Library that will take a lifetime to explore.

So not from the start, but maybe down the road, like Stylus nd REX files.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks for the welcome.

While the first release of Omnisphere does not support user import of samples, we understand how cool that would be and certainly wouldn't rule that out for the future.

I guess that the developers will only really respond to customer pressure. Perhaps the site organiser here could organise a petitions page ? It took 18 months to get broadband into my outpost, but we did it.

Using the guitar as a MIDI trigger will make all of Omnisphere's sounds available though, right ? Or firing up Omnisphere from your guitar sequencer ?

Right, I see that the case is already opened;
http://omnitalk.lightbb.com/the-future-is-omni-wishes-requests-f7/sample-loading-track-processing-t14.htm
Direct petitions do work though.
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:06 am

Omnisphere eats all kinds of midi, so a midi guitar input would be really cool. AFAIK then some of the old Trilogy demos were done on a midi guitar

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zerocrossing on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm right there with you. Love the guitar but always envied the synth players. Never really felt all that comfortable with MIDI guitars (though I sure have owned a few...) and now I finally developed a little keyboard skill... enough to make some noise.

Omnisphere totally scratches my weird ambient/experimental itch that sometimes a guitar, no matter how many effects it's going though, can't itch.

In a weird way, I can't imagine wanting to load any of my guitar into Omnisphere. Does it really need one more sample source? There's always Absynth if you want to experiment with stuff like that.

Casar1973 wrote:Hello and welcome aboard Moon!

I just got my copy but havenīt installed it yet. I too am interested in the guitar/omni connection since I am mainly a guitar guy with a soft spot for cool synth sounds. It would have been interesting if you could load your guitar chops into Omni and co-process them with all the thingies inside...maybe one for the future?

zerocrossing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:25 am

Guitar is a unique tool and has its place in the box. Some people prefer a different tool, sure, and good luck, but variety is an essential element of progress. Omnisphere looks like it's going to be a major recording/performance milestone and it would suffer as a concept without different inputs, imo.
Not that I don't enjoy a bit of experimental keyboard myself, mind. The AXiS-64 appeals to me with its 'Harmonic Table' and seems to be the sort of break with conformity/tradition that I'll also enjoy. There's a hint of my Yamaha EZ guitar/controller in those keys and I could happily play about with them without feeling like a keyboard player , and keyboard has never lit my candle.

http://www.c-thru-music.com/cgi/?page=prod_axis-64

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RgpvNqQNBgo

http://www.c-thru-music.com/cgi/?page=info
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 pm

So how would you use Omnisphere guitar wise?

I understand midi quite well, I'm just curious what you would use...Roland VG99? I'm also a guitar player, I use all Line 6 products (which may or may not have been wise, we will see), but have never used guitar to trigger midi instruments since I am primarily a pianist at heart.

Thanks and I hope Omnisphere can be used in that genre. I've heard that Spectrasonics may be loading Omnisphere into a "Receptor" similar to Muse, if that is the case, can that be triggered via a midi input device with the guitar?

Thanks for posting, you've broadened my horizons.....not that that is very difficult.
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Well, I don't actually own a Roland VG99- yet- but I'd certainly like to try one out with Omnisphere, yes. I'd like to try the aforementioned AXiS-64 too. I just wrote to C-thru-music and asked them if they'd done any trials with the AXiS-64 and Omnisphere. I've a notion that pairing them could be bliss, for me.

I'm also keeping an eye on the SONAR forums wherein peeps are discussing the ups and downs of SONAR/Omnisphere as I'll be using them together myself. A few bugs have surfaced, mainly installation-related, but I haven't yet seen a solid report from a guitar player who's got it all happening yet. Early days.

I'm not familiar with Muse but MIDI guitar, or guitar through a MIDI converter, like the Axon series, the VG99 or similar should trigger Omnisphere like any other synth. I hope.

So how would you use Omnisphere guitar wise?
As soon as I find out I'll upload something. study
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Casar1973 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks for reminding me that I have the Roland VG-99...bought it some time ago but havenīt put it to much use yet. It didnīt cross my mind to use it with Omni until now, if it works I can well imagine a few cool ideas using it... Basketball

Casar1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:44 am

You forgot you had a Roland VG-99 ? Can I borrow your Ferrari ? santa
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Can I have your VG-99? What a Face
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Casar1973 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:15 am

He he...sorry to appear slightly spoilt! I donīt have a Ferrari actually and the closest thing looking like one is probably the Roland V-synth....and itīs another one of those cars that I havenīt driven much yet.

Now excuse me while I go buy some more gear,

Twisted Evil

Casar1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:00 am

Hey, mine's arrived ! I'm going to have to delay installing it until the weekend though. Probably just as well as I'll have time to read the installation manual.

Catch you chaps later.
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  siriusbliss on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 am

I'm running Omnisphere via my older Axon AX-100, and it's pretty awesome.

I set up a controller pedal for modulation and have been toying around with the arpeggiator.

Greg
siriusbliss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:16 am

siriusbliss;
I'm running Omnisphere via my older Axon AX-100, and it's pretty awesome.

Ace ! I still haven't got installed yet , due to work pressure. Maybe this week Cool
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 am

Well, due to an astonishing run of events I've only just managed to get back to my music studies. Nice to see this place looking healthy.

Can anybody successfully using Omnisphere with their guitar help me out ?
I've been playing mine through a Roland GR20 guitar synth, an E-mu 1820m sound card and SONAR 8 Studio. Everything works fine and I can use software such as Proteus, Guitar Rig etc. with no problems. Having just loaded Omnisphere and SONAR 8 Producer though I can't get the guitar through.
It registers fine in Producer, Omnisphere opens and triggers fine with its own sound preview button but I can't get the guitar through it. Where might I be going wrong ?

I've checked out a couple of the Omnisphere videos. What a fantastic piece of kit !!
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:12 am

OK, sorted. Omnisphere requires MIDI channel 1. I didn't know that.
What a great synth! It takes some very clean picking on certain presets that I've discovered so far but the results are astounding.
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  siriusbliss on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Omni can handle any MIDI channel coming in - not just channel 1.

Yes, playing has to be very clean.

Greg
siriusbliss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moon on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:47 am

Omni can handle any MIDI channel coming in - not just channel 1.

OK, I must have a configuration problem. I'm always having to wait for the weekends in order to solve something.
moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

multiouts in Fruityloops

Post  wired on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:58 am

does anyone know how the midi channels show up in floops,...eg.,when ou load omnisphere, it doesn't allow more than one midichannel at once, it will allow audio multiouts, but where does the midi show up?

wired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum