One month in...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

One month in...

Post  rawtheory on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 pm

and Omnisphere is barely scratched. This synth is a monster! My learning process with Stylus RMX is ongoing and I've had that VST for 3 years! Omni is vastly more complex and I'm just begining to get a handle on it. The patches are great starting points for finding my way around the gui (I'm a bit of a newbie at full blown synthesis) and the soundsources are so vast it'll literally take me years to become familiar with. I'm loving all the textures, pads, and choral patches and sources. The Tuvan drones are particularly awesome. Its helping to add the atmosphere, spacial design, and movement in my compositions. The VA aspect is awesome too and I'm still familiarizing myself with its intricacies. Modulation is vast and my attempts at creating phat bass patches are a lot of fun and very successful. I love the FATBOY filter preset! Anybody else with some thoughts/rants to share about Omni?

rawtheory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: One month in...

Post  rawtheory on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Another thing is, that the patches seem to need to be tamed to make them useable. Not all of them but its fun non-the-less to tweak them into workable shape. But not allthe time though. Sometimes its annoying, and the browser is really new paradigm. Its almost too smart for me! It's taken me sometime to wrap my head around the attributes tab, and it'll still be a while till I'm fully comfortable with the browser

rawtheory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPB on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:23 pm

rawtheory wrote:Another thing is, that the patches seem to need to be tamed to make them useable. Not all of them but its fun non-the-less to tweak them into workable shape.

I have the same rection. Some of them sound so good alone, but in the context of a tune can be too much sonically. "Tamed" is a good description!

I am still going through and auditioning all the Patches (then plan on doing all the soundsources), but you are right - it is an amazing synth. I too am limited in my knowledge of synth operation (always been into acoustic samples), but there is a lot of motivation to get a better handle on those processes now. It's amazing what the demonstrator does to the 'Dynamic Crystal Gamelan' in the Modulation video.

BTW - dumb question, but what is 'VA' ?

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawtheory on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:27 pm

VA= Virtual Analogue

rawtheory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content