Sample loading/track processing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sample loading/track processing

Post  Casar1973 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:38 am

I think the question has been raised before but being able to load your own samples/sounds and perform resynthesis on them would be most appealing. For example, I may want to load some guitar licks and send them into omnimania....because some of them maybe belong there. farao

Last edited by Casar1973 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Casar1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sample loading/track processing

Post  novata on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:56 am

I think I've read or seen a video with Eric Persing mentioning this as a possible future update. So there is hope.
novata

View user profile http://novata.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:24 am

I am also hoping Eric and the team do actually allow a sampling feature for Omni.

They stated they were going to do the same thing with Atmosphere years ago...so we will see.

Can you imagine the ripple that would send the likes of NI (Kontact), and DP's Mach 5? Man if 3rd Party could develop for Omnisphere as well as loading personal patches up.....I might not ever need to use anything else....well except RMX.

Speaking of which, I am curious of the direction RMX will take now with the added functionality it now has with its symbiotic relationship with Omni...It definitely makes all the sage expanders look attractive, I have most of them, but the Nine Volt Audio libraries are also rumored to be very well done.

L8r,
big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:00 am

The NVA stuff is great I have all of them except the newest one. I espcial like the two action drums. They fit my style like a glove.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 pm

I also have NVA's Action Drum Taiko Edition, and the little $10 library Kyle made last month, both were great audio wise.

How is the usability of Boom Jinx, and the other libraries you have? Can you compare them to anything else out there....like Skippy's products at Ilio..etc.

Thanks.

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:19 am

Sure, I'll post it tonight, since I'm at work. How's the mini library BTW. And can you still get it?

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:43 am

Thanks, that sounds great.

I just emailed Kyle about the "action drums 100", the sounds are pretty good, a couple of gems in there. He just emailed me back and said it was actually all new material, I thought it was just a mini version of Action Drums Boom Jinx, I was wrong.

It doesn't look like the "100" is available anymore, I asked Kyle if you could just email him and request it...I'll let you know.

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Well this is a roughly translation (I don't think anyone would like my personal notes in danish:) )and cutdown version of my RMX notes. They are a bit train of thoughts, but I hope it's allright. Sorry for the broken english.

Electronic expanders:

Metamorphosis - 53-164. This is mixed bag of weird on wonderfull grooves, repetitous noizes and stuff. I like to cut up elements from this one with the edit grooves, but don't really use the full loops that much. It's fun to use the chaos designer with this stuff though. It mixes really well with the Stylus library, and I tend to use the buzz feature more, when I work with this stuff.

Big bad Beats - 66-145, and 4 sound menues (2 kicks, 2 snare), This one has a great selection of shuffled grooves in the slow section, while the fast stuff has a more dance oriented vibe. All suites are based around construction set, with different mixes of the grooves and breakdowns. Most of them offer no kick or no snare versions.

Noizebox - 73-145, 6 element suites and 15 sound menues. This one is another hybrid with a different aproach. All suites offers 3 versions of the beat, and the elements. Dark IDM style grooves with twist and turns everywhere. Slows down great for the most part, and the odds and ends section has some rexed pads(!!!). This one is not really my favorit, for the grooves, but the elements makes this one really interesting. You can makes some amazing soundscaping with this one alone, with creative use of the edit groups and the FX in stylus.

Stark Raving Beats - 105 - 170(!!!), 15 sound menues and 16 element suites. This is fast mofo, and it shows. Not so good when slowed down, but loads of fun, when you want fast fast fast. This one has a Hybrid feel to it, with drums working on fast perc or electronic sounds. Every suite offers a full mix, a small mix, and then the elements. Only one to offer room versions of the drum grooves.

Adtion drums: Boom jinx edition - 110-159. 13 Groove element suites. Every "10s" has a preview section which is brilliant to audition grooves fast. Every suite has the beat, a no kick, no snare, a hihat + perc version, the elements and a 4X kick. This one has a great electronic drum feel and a dramtic "Car chase" feel to it. Think matrix 2 carchase. It's great for medium to fast stuff, whitout being straight dance stuff. Some of the tonal stuff has a great Scifi film quality to it.

beat bandit - 80-125. 10 groove element suites and 50 kits. Electronic drums for the more medium stuff without being Dance. The layout of the suites are the same as Action drums: Boom jinx. IDM drums without being too weird or interlectual, and some really cool funky stuff.

If i had to choose one, then it would be Action drums : boom jinx, and with Beat bandits hot on the heels, but All of them these expanders are excellent for what they do, and it really boils down to your own personal taste.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:53 pm

I can add my notes on the other libraries tommoro, if your interested. But these sort of covered the electronic expanders.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:12 pm

lhama,

You rock man, thanks that was quite the informative post.

I've got Metamorphosis, Liquid Grooves, Backbeat, New Orleans Strut, Ethno Techno, Noizebox, and Action Drums Taiko edition.

I love them all for differing purposes. I'm also a fan of Drums on Demand, I buy them in Rex2 and Apple Loop formats, which covers just about all the bases for me, then make my own expanders with them for Stylus.

I think in the end I probably use them all equally as much. The one I use the least is the Stylus RMX library...but mostly because I forget about it:)

I need to check out Burning grooves, Retrofunk, and Skippy's other Libraries.

I've also used Distorted Reality 1 on several things, it always reminds me of a Vangelis meets Enigma at a Tangerine Dream concert.

anyway, thanks for the post, very helpful to everyone on the forum.

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:57 am

lhama,

I just received an email back from Kyle at NVA. He said he'd be happy to hook you up with the "100" refill. Email him at

info@ninevoltaudio

L8r,

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:07 am

lhama wrote:
beat bandit - 80-125. 10 groove element suites and 50 kits. Electronic drums for the more medium stuff without being Dance. The layout of the suites are the same as Action drums: Boom jinx. IDM drums without being too weird or interlectual, and some really cool funky stuff.
Thanks for your nice words about my beats.
I like to refer to them as electronica for grownups!
cyclops

for people who are looking for more conventional stuff i can really recommend the esoundz rmx libs. They have some cool beats from people like Steve Gadd, Bill Bruford, Danny Gottlieb, Rick Marotta etc.

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Hans,

You would know where the beats are...I'll check em out. Looks like Beat Bandit is next.... any thoughts of doing something "world" groove related? I already asked Kyle at NVA, he said nothing was in the works but he might be interested.

I think there is good market room for a library that used some of the same world genres that already exist (Celtic, Chinese, Native American), but actually make them usable in ambient and electronica. There are great libraries for film/tv shows and tons of special stab, one hit, and transition, related samples, but they all seem to fall short when it comes to having a great midi/rhythm patterns that would make Timbaland or Enigma drop the mic...or at least say "Eh"!

Glad to see you on the forum, Groove lock, really is an amazing feature, and I'd say NVA, Spectrasonics, and Ilio, have a corner on the market right now.

Thanks for the tip,

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:13 am

Thanks for considering Beat Bandit.
What Kyle says is the word-theres nothing worldbeatrelated in the works at NVA at the moment. But i think its a great idea and will try to push it.
We only have to find some good percussionplayers that can do authentic sounding stuff at a sleepwalking 60 BPM which is the ultimate tempo to get the best REX results.
cat

Hans

Hans Scheffler

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks and good luck....I'd have to use a metronome!

Either way whatever you guys put out will be amazing.

I'd also love to see a more acoustic version of big bad guitars come out, dobros, dulcimers, etc.
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:52 am

big bad unplugged
now thats an interesting idea!

Hans Scheffler

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:29 pm

luvit!

Funny that you and I are the only ones online....that was convenient!
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elektrolurch on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:52 pm

All we need is a STEAM converter like SAGE converter for RMX Exclamation

elektrolurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey Hans,
I just ordered Beat Bandit, the demo sounds fantastic. I did a little more research on all you have been a part of....impressive! Did you work closely with Eric P on any Roland material? How about Skippy?

Not that it matters, just curious. The whole sound design world is intriguing to me. I always preferred Roland sounds to Korg, even though I always preferred Korgs interfaces. A couple years back when I discovered who was behind Spectrasonics I got fairly excited, I like it when things make sense...Spectrasonics...oh yeah sounds like Roland...er..Eric P.

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:05 am

Hey Big C,
Thanks for your kind words!
i worked on several projects with Eric for Roland in the last 10 years or so, like the XV Series, the VP-9000, V-Synth and Fantom series.
The first project back in the day was the Techno card for the JV1080 and the Romsounds for the JP-8080.
With Spectrasonics it was Stylus, Atmosphere and Omnisphere.
I sure feel honoured to be working with my favourite sounddesigner of al times!
I also like the work of John Skippy Lehmkuhl-he is working mostly for Korg.

best
Hans

Hans Scheffler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulperi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:18 am

would be cool also if you could reverse the sample. I think its not possible now or is it?
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:29 am

sure would be cool.
I faintly remember one explanation why it is hard to implement had to do with the fact that the samples are streamed from the harddrive.
For some of the waveforms Spectrasonics has included a reverse version in the core library.

Hans Scheffler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulperi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:02 am

By the way, what do you think, how much more actual features will Eric and folks add to Omni?
And do you think it is possible that we would have to pay for some critical features like adding your own samples? Or some sample converter?
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:31 am

I have no idea what Spectrasonics has in the works but looking back at the incredible and free 1.5 update for RMX i look forward to a lot of cool developments to Omnisphere in the future.
One thing for sure the waiting time will not be wasted because there already is so much to explore with the current feature set.
I recently came across a method to do wavesequencing like sounds with Omnisphere by using some of the menu waveforms (search for menu in the soundsourcebrowser) and randomize the Timbreshift for those by large amounts.
THat will give every new keystroke a unique transient.
By running the result thru a hiresonant pipefilter and controlling the cutofffrequency by keyfollow you can play that sound like a regular instrument.

cheers

Hans

Hans Scheffler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top