Standalone Version

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Standalone Version

Post  Dawith on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:51 am

I would really like to have a standalone version of this synth. Having to always run it from a VST enable DAW is a bit of a bind, especially from a live view point where you are adding to the potential crash scale.
Toontrack recently released a standalone version for their Superior Drums instruments. This just makes sense for any VI that angles itself towards a live enviroment. What do you guys think and how do you use Omni in a live enviroment?

EDIT:
On further browsing of this site I just found this
http://omnitalk.lightbb.com/the-omni-dungeoun-tips-tricks-f1/runnin-omnisphere-in-stand-alone-t100.htm

I would still like to see a Spectrasonics based solution however

Dawith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Standalone Version

Post  Mulperi on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:58 pm

Yes in my opinion every QUALITY VSTI should have stand-alone version.
Of course there is always ways around everything but absence of this feature shows laziness of the developers, especially with plugin that has otherwise so deep live features.

This is just my humble opinion.
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Whatever the reason is why there is no standalone of Omnisphere- one thing i can assure you is that nobody at Spectrasonics is a lazy developer.
As a matter of fact they are all very passionate and busy.
I know most of the guys personally and they are working their ass off to make this thing happen.
And i rather have them spend their time and efforts improving the creative side of Omni instead duplicating whats already possible.
BOT Simply use one of the free VST hosts out there if you dont want to use a DAW on stage.

merry xmas
Hans

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  PT on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:59 pm

I think the developers and sounddesigners who worked years on Omnisphere have done a tremendous job. I don't understand why people weep about Omnisphere not doing this and that - it actually does alot of things that no other product is or has been able to do.
Using Omnisphere live is just a matter of getting a cracking laptop to run the DAW of your choice.

I wish all Omnispherians a merry Christmas

Cheers

PT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawith on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:13 pm

I agree the developers have done a cracking job and neither Mulperi or I am dismissing that. This doesn't mean that there are not things to be improved and developed however and as a customer of one of their products I have the option to make suggestions that I feel would add to the experience. One of those in this case is the ability of running a "live" angled product in isolation without the need to rely on a 3rd party DAW that is consuming a part of the laptops overheads. If as I now know there are, free apps which will let us do this it cant therefore be difficult for them to incorporate this option and us recieve the benefit of their support in this area. Native Instruments have no trouble doing so, therefore why can't they? That's all. Not a moan, merely a suggestion for the future as the title of this section of the board implies.
Respectfully
Dawith
Merry Christmas one and all
P.S. Mulperi thanks so much for the SA tip. I have passed it onto my fellow VSTers

Dawith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:18 am

I have to admit, just like Music Tech Mag this month Omni is 10 out of 10....there was only 1 "Cons" comment...no stand-alone.

Purely from a user stand-point and with as much loyalty to any software that I allow myself, with NI Kore/Komplete being the bread and butter of many live and studio musicians along with every developer out there looking to create their own GUI/sample housing (EastWest, Sonivox), the competition is fairly fierce, and should be, and am sure is, monitored by Spectrasonics with tenacious discipline.

I'm sure that Spectrasonics isn't sitting on their haunches, but maybe they need a few more haunches. They should have released more videos by now, and really should have made Omni a sampler also if they truly wanted to blow everyone away. Don't get me wrong, Omni is a phenomenal sonic statement and achievement for Eric and his team, but there are many achievements happening every day. For instance East-West's new "Play" Engine is 64 bit, and sounds that good also. I enjoy being loyal to a company, but the ability to shape my music as I want will always supersede that. I know many people that left using Eric's products because of the lack of speedy support. This may all change with Omni, since they have their own interface and engine to "Steam" on into the future chronicles of sonic endeavor.

Spectrasonics has a rep for making amazing products but also has a rep for not supporting them in a very timely fashion...when was the last Stylus Sage Expander made...a couple of years ago, and that one was a charity expander (New Orleans Strut) to help support Katrina victims. I've had to look to other companies like Ilio for more material. Now Ilio has created their own Sample based system "Sample-Base", pun intended, which is a very forward thinking module download concept in its own right, which is also full of very high quality, high resolution products.

I'm not trying to downplay Spectrasonics but it feels at times that they shoot themselves with the apparent pace of their company's products and progress. I've never had a poor experience from Spectrasonics, just not that many of them, their tempo is not in sync with the industry right now. I'd like to see them expand, because as a consumer, I'd like to expand with them, but there are things I would have to use Kontakt for, namely my own samples, which I would so love to use inside of Omni. I also think many are looking for an all in one solution. Many musicians are not engineers and may not be that tech savvy, they enjoy the simplicity of getting to know one DAW, one Software Company's style etc. Omni is so elegant, that I think it would easily be in the running for most desired product in the universe if it included a sampler....and a hard drive of all their samples for a $499 price tag:)

IMHO, Omnisphere should have already at least announced future coming expanders and from what company's are involved, not just a teaser on this forum. Eric should also give a serious statement of Omni becoming a Sampler not just a rehash of the Atmosphere statement "something were looking at for the future"...which never did materialize...of course NAMM 2009 is around the corner!

BOT, listen to Hans, there are several stable VSTi DAW emulators out there. Another idea would be to use Kore if you own it, you can open Omni in there as well.

Have a great Christmas everyone!!

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bourke on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:01 am

Your points are valid, big~c.

However, Spectrasonics have never made standalone versions of any of their plug-ins. Neither have LinPlug. Lots of developers don't. Solutions already exist to do this, so why reinvent the wheel?

I do think, however, that Spectrasonics needs to open up Omnisphere so users can put its enormous power to work on their own samples.

While Atmosphere was out of commission and I was waiting for Omnisphere, I routinely used LinPlug's CronoX 3/Sophistry for atmos pads with my own and other samples and this worked out very well indeed. Now, Camel Audio's new Alchemy takes this to the next level.

Which is, at the very least, where Omnisphere needs to be at to compete in today's market. And sooner rather than later. Especially given the substantial difference in price.

And, to be honest, given Spectrasonics vast sampling expertise and experience, it's a mystery to me why they don't actually MAKE a sampler. EastWest's PLAY seems to have promised much but delivered problems and inefficiencies such that I'm still using their libraries in Kontakt 2. Which I would LOVE to be able to dump forever, along with all the other NI stuff.

Instead, I've been forced to upgrade to Komplete 5 just to be able to move up to Leopard. And I'd have preferred to have spent that money with Spectrasonics.

For the past number of years, the entire sampling world seems to have been dominated by European companies like NI and Univers Sons. E-mu has been decimated and plundered by Creative, and Kurzweil don't seem to be interested in the software side as far as I can see.

So who's left in the USA sampling industry? As I said, EastWest promised much but delivered little thus far. And that leaves Spectrasonics the acknowledged giants of sample library production. Who could, if they so decided, actually OWN the world of desktop software sampling.

As I said, a mystery to me. Oh well, the waiting goes on. In the meantime, I juggle problems...

Kind regards.

Dave Bourke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:10 pm

Well said!

The mystery continues....maybe Namm 09 will unravel some of it even further.

As to the standalone mode, for studio jockeys this isn't as much a concern as for playing live, yes there are work arounds, but this can't be such a difficult feat to accomplish. I tend to try and slave one running program to one computer live for simplicity and stability. Since Omni is not a sampler, I will still be using Reason and NI products alongside. If Omni was a sampler and I could load all the painstakingly crafted soundbeds I've developed, it would be amazing to use standalone, and easier on the juice as well.

Another idea Spectrasonics should look into would be an expanded Omni with all their sample libraries in a Omnisphere edition Recepter....that would be cool!

Have a great holiday,

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulperi on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:48 am

By the way, check out this stunning free VSTI http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3580.html
and it's stand-alone application with handy zoom & full screen features.
If someone can include stand alone version with those features in free plugin...

As said before, I think Omnisphere is inspiring and good instrument, but in my opinion it's important to discuss these things and not to just blindly deny them and always offer a work around. Omnisphere is not God, it's not perfect. It can always be improved and this is one suggestion how to do it, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would appreciate this feature.

Peace pig

Ps. Dawith, glad to hear you found it useful!
I'm using it when I want just instant play without any hassle.
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:43 pm

Now that Namm is over I can say I'd still love to see a stand alone version with a sampler application included. However, it looks as if Spectrasonics is taking advantage of their current momentum and charging forward with Trillion. Trillion's integration with Omni is going to be great and the free 1.7 RMX upgrade is going to be tight. Their new Time Designer function seems similar to some of the ideas in Cubase 5, can't wait to give my Stylus libraries a new whirl.

The new sounds in 1.0.3 were also well done! Aside from our very own Hans S's work, I'm finding more and more afinity towards Scott Frankfurts work...of course he has some great Lanois emulations which I can't wait to exploit.

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top