New Soundsets For The Omni

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Soundsets For The Omni

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:38 am

Hello all,

I have talked with a well established sound-designer at a particular soundfactory - whom I canīt mention until approved - about future soundsets and commercial patches for the Omnisphere. It is being planned.

Generally, the notion is that the basic included library is so vast that it seems a bit difficult to conceive of what to offer as an alternative commercial bank. So this post is a bit of an early warning but if you feel you want to have a say in a future soundset offering - here is your chance. Many prefer their own sounddesigns but others also enjoy the ease of using prefabricated patches.

What would you want to hear in a new soundbank?
Theyīre ready to listen to your requests!
study
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://omnitalk.lightbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Soundsets For The Omni

Post  bigcohoona on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 am

That is great news!

Although I know this is readily available in many other soundsets, libraries, programs, etc. etc...there is a reason for it, almost every synth player uses it.....a Grand Piano....and not the Bosendorpher;b. A great sounding cross between a Yamaha Grand and a Steinway Grand...call it the "OmniGrand", would be fantastic.

My goal in this is making Omnisphere the only keys related VST/AU that I have to use....one library, one program, 1 hard-drive, (and a back-up:).

My other Wishlist Category....Actually most of them are just bread and butter, Since Omnisphere is so vast in the "Other" or Psychoacoustic realm, it would be nice to have normal strings, brass, guitars, dobros, dulcimers, etc. etc. that you could really apply the STEAM to, so to speak.

I do a lot of manipulating with Acoustic stringed instruments, such as the dobro, mandolin, and dulcimer, I've found playing them through arpegiators or delays is almost more fun on keys than playing the actual instrument...different vibe.

Also......
Some great sound FX for intros, bridges, lead-ins, tags, etc.
More "world" format sounds, Chinese/Japanese instruments,
Oh Yeah Bagpipes...mandatory! To be able to apply Omnisphere effects to a Bagpipe would be unreal.

Thanks for asking, like everyone else on this forum, I could go on and on and on and on and on

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:53 am

cheers
I love the string ensembles in both atmosphere and Omnisphere, and I would love if someone could offer brass and woodwind ensembles with different articulation for Omnisphere. Solo instruments would be nice as well, but then we're moving into Kontakt land....

I'm always a sucker for more japanese and chinese instruments, if they are done good.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:50 am

As well they should....move into Kontakt land that is....

This may sound very....well American, but there is not much that I use coming out of my homeland software & sound-wise. The best and most cutting edge applications etc. are all coming out of the the EU for the most part.

Even though I know we are living in this global village, I can't help wanting to support Spectrasonics purely for that reason.....plus they are very, very, good products. I think only NI and a few others (EastWest, Sonivox) come close....even thought there are lots of great products out there (Ilio, Sonic Flavours, Nine Volt Audio).

Plus I enjoy Spectrasonics GUI's more than most other GUI's, they are a little finicky if you want to deep edit, but now that they have their own software development team making those things streamlined should be much easier.
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Well, if the specs are going to offer things like scripting, and other goodies, like kontakt offers, then I'm game, but I think they'll be up against some stiff competition. But then again it's all about sounds.

I do enjoy spectrasonics, and regard them to be one of the greatest VST companies in the world. But not a do all be all company.... But i expect that Omnisphere will be the Absynth slayer in my setup.... Or maybe not, since absynths gritty sounds has it's places. affraid

I agree on the Gui though cheers
Pure art.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:25 pm

I have to agree with you, Spectrasonics doesn't have it all, I guess it just seems like what they do have is probably the best I've played with...and would love to extend that quality to everything.

Like with Stylus, even though I play Rex files in Ableton and in Reason, if I import them into RMX, they just sound better...could be just me, but I trust my ears.

It is probably a good thing that I got the upgrade price (which was very kind of Spectrasonics, thanks guys!), cause if I had to choose between spending $500 on Omnisphere and $699 on Komplete...well that would be a tough choice but flexibility-wise is a no brainer.

It is almost comical, every time I go to get NI Komplete something else lures me away. But in all honesty, I really have all I need in my Reason Refill collection, plus it never, ever, crashes and has a thumb print signature on my hard drive!

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Well I got the big Kore 2 + komplete package in the spring, since I knew I would be using a lot of the fall with omnisphere Razz

The are quality plugs, and Battery 3 has really become stylus' best friend. It seems so natural to me to be working with both these plugs in tandem, since they cover so much together, and have the same kind of feel, though they work from two complealy different aproaches. I'm a big Kontakt fan, and I can't imagine working without it. Reaktor is a big, vast thing, which I am sacred off to go into too deep, since it proably will make my head hurt, when I try to buildt even the simple stuff. Thank god for the User library, which has a lot of goodies. Akustik piano, Elektrik piano and B4 2 are nice bonuses, and Pro 52 is a lot of fun. I have always hated the sound of a DX7 , so for NI to actually make me embrase FM with FM 8 is quite an acomplisment.
I'm not the worlds biggest Absynth fan, but it has it's moments. Kore 2 is a brilliant concept, and will grow to be a huge monster over the years. It's power is way beyond the preset machine it initial was annonced as, and I think the NI future will be very tied to this one.

I think NI and Spectrasonics plugs work very well together, since there's very little they compliment each other great.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GFoyle on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:34 am

Admin wrote:Hello all,

I have talked with a well established sound-designer at a particular soundfactory - whom I canīt mention until approved - about future soundsets and commercial patches for the Omnisphere. It is being planned.

Generally, the notion is that the basic included library is so vast that it seems a bit difficult to conceive of what to offer as an alternative commercial bank. So this post is a bit of an early warning but if you feel you want to have a say in a future soundset offering - here is your chance. Many prefer their own sounddesigns but others also enjoy the ease of using prefabricated patches.

study

I'm sure a sound design company could do a fine job with what is already in Omni as there are so many ways to go with the existing soundsources. I've plunked around mixing and matching diverse (read: "things that should not play well together in the A & B layers") sources, tossed in some heavy modulation/granular/FM/etc (read: "threw the kitchen sink at it"), and have come out the other side quite amazed. Point being if a punter like me can do up something cool in a few minutes of spare time imagine what a dedicated sound designer or two could pull off in a few weeks.

Things will go seriously vertical if/when Spectrasonics opens up Omni to user/third-party-supplied sources. Scan a JPEG into VirSyn's Poseidon. Mangle it in Poseidon. Capture that waveform. Put it into Omnisphere. Re-mangle. Re-capture. Bring that audio back into Poseidon. Iterate. (Not unheard of as I have read of people running a similar iteration with Poseidon and Absynth. I also think I recall seeing MetaSynth sources in the current soundsource list.) Should be able to run the gamut from the truly musical to the truly strange or both at the same time.

If Omnisphere opens up...there is no spoon. Heck, the spoon may already be gone as it is.

GFoyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:52 pm

lhama,

Your comment on the DX7 made me laugh, The DX7 was the only synth I had in the early 90's, I traveled all over Europe with it....of course I didn't really like it either, nothing sounded very good on it. But it did the trick.

I agree with you on how good NI is, there content even on the demos I've toyed with just sound bigger than most of what I've used. Well with the exception of Spectrasonics products. The other reason that I've never bought Komplete is that it always swipes my CPU. Even my 8-core still churns to keep up with it. I do like Kontakt quite a bit more than the other Samplers out there. I've got Mach 5 v.2 (free upgrade from 1) primarily because when I bought it, it was the best out there and I didn't really know what I needed or wanted, I just wanted to "play" with my first cakewalk based studio. I was sorely disappointed with the included 8 gigs of content mach 5 came with. I probably would have bought Komplete then if I'd known about NI.

Anyway, that will still probably be my next Mega purchase...until something Spectrasonics comes out with lures me away....Stylus, and Trilogy "STEAM" editions, new Omni libraries, new RMX expanders (really very very overdue) etc.

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:13 am

bigcohoona wrote:
Anyway, that will still probably be my next Mega purchase...until something Spectrasonics comes out with lures me away....Stylus, and Trilogy "STEAM" editions, new Omni libraries, new RMX expanders (really very very overdue) etc.

Ah... The sweet pain of GAS affraid

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  orbital on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:52 pm

bigcohoona wrote:I have to agree with you, Spectrasonics doesn't have it all, I guess it just seems like what they do have is probably the best I've played with...and would love to extend that quality to everything.

Like with Stylus, even though I play Rex files in Ableton and in Reason, if I import them into RMX, they just sound better...could be just me, but I trust my ears.

It is probably a good thing that I got the upgrade price (which was very kind of Spectrasonics, thanks guys!), cause if I had to choose between spending $500 on Omnisphere and $699 on Komplete...well that would be a tough choice but flexibility-wise is a no brainer.

It is almost comical, every time I go to get NI Komplete something else lures me away. But in all honesty, I really have all I need in my Reason Refill collection, plus it never, ever, crashes and has a thumb print signature on my hard drive!

big~C

I agree with all points. I really like what my Atmosphere hinted at with some of it's string sounds. A few good pianos + orchestra stuff would make Omni my go to synth ( it will be for the most part anyway). I will run Omni, Stylus, and Reason happily.

orbital

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  docatlas on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:35 pm

Admin wrote:Hello all,

study

I could use a lot of Ethnic/World sounds, especially Asian and Middle-Easter. Historical instruments would be great, too (I'm in the SCA, I'd love to be able to compose period music with authentic-sounding instruments).

Even if user import of samples might be a long way down the road, I wonder if there will be any third-party expansions? Like Ilio's SAGE Xpanders. Some of Ilio's libraries would make nice STEAM Xpanders (I'm assuming that's what they'll be called...), like Origins and World Winds. I guess time will tell.

docatlas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:23 pm

Nine Volta Audio (Kyle & Hans)

Read the last reply, I told ya there was a great market in that genre.....but like I said, whatever you guys put out is great!

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trimada on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:46 pm

I would love to have a patch with:

"Orchestral FX, Cressendos, Clusters, Noises, and random Fx played with a real orchestra"

Exacly like the Human Voices patch in the Omnisphere - All diffirent choir fx is perfect for "Modern movescores".
Simply to have all I need in one plgin.
At the moment Iīm using Eastwests stuff for orchestral fx.
My dream is to have all that sounds in omnisphere I love you

Respect//Tarek
Trimada

View user profile http://www.tarekmansur.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 pm

How are the East West products?

I've been very tempted to buy Goliath and Storm Drums 2....they sound amazing for demos on a website.

Have you tried their new "Play" interface and what do you think of their 64 bit engine....cpu hog?

Thanks,

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trimada on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Hey! Very Happy No I havenīt tried their new "Play" engine - but I can understand that itīs massive Cool
I hope I can get my hands on bouth Stormdrum 2 and the new symphonic orchestral platinum.
My dream would be to have the same category within Omnisphere cheers
I know that it would be perfect for me and many others geek
Trimada

View user profile http://www.tarekmansur.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lhama on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 am

A great addition to omnisphere would be some IR's of some of the places they recorded....Like the the cathedral were the dream piano and the strings were recorded. I love the sound, but the reverb makes it hard for me to match it with other instruments. A couple of IR's through SIR would make it really easy.

lhama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mystic_Realmz on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 am

That's an awesome question regarding the idea of new sound-sets. It's been stated a few times in the responses I viewed, but a truly authentic orchestral library would be awesome. Spectrasonics has mastered the art of sampling, so I'm sure the sound quality would be impressive.

I also hope there will be a continued expansion of the ethereal sound-scapes. Although I'm sure that's a given. Thanks for posting this question What a Face
Mystic_Realmz

View user profile http://www.mysticrealmz.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Gimme, gimme, gimme

Post  JPB on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:19 pm

docatlas wrote:
I could use a lot of Ethnic/World sounds...

+1 with African emphasis - particularly vocals.

Also +1 on new Xpander packs for RMX (same category - world/ethnic). It would also be great to see more stuff in 6/8 in the ethnic area. REALLY great but neglected time signature.

Last edited by JPB on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whiz bang on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:01 pm

The sound of a man whistling, like in the old west theme music or Wild Arms games.
I don't think the Kokyu has EVER been sampled, and it's such a beautiful Japanese instrument.
Bagpipes are a cool idea, but I probably won't need them once I get Ethno World 4.
I plan on getting East Wests' "QL: Gypsy" just for it's amazing violin.
whiz bang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulperi on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:56 am

I want SID-chip sounds!
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcohoona on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:34 pm

I want my own sounds....give me a sampler! Man I'd love to use the effects in Omni with my own sound designs.

big~C
bigcohoona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulperi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:51 am

Good traditional piano samples also would be nice to have.
I would think that in 40gbs there would be one normal piano sound...
Mulperi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:09 am

I think Eric didnt create Omnisphere to be an allround synth to replace all the others out there.
Its all about providing new and unheard sounds.
After all there certainly is no shortage of regular piano sounds on the market.
Akustik Piano from NI is on sale for 99$ and then there is of course Ivory and the wonderful Pianoteq and Truepiano.
Plus-a good sampled piano easily eats up to 10 GBs and i am rather happy that Eric decided to use the space for other things. Why duplicate whats already out there?
I hope that the unique sounds of Heart of Asia will find their way into the corelibrary one day. That library had some very evocative and inspiring sounds in it that would make incredible fodder for the Steam engine.

Cool

Hans

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:11 am

let me add that ultimately the perfect solution will be usersample import.
That way evryone can customize Omnisphere to their personal needs.
I hope Eric and the team will make this possible!

jocolor

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top