Multiple outs and settings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Multiple outs and settings

Post  sandbags on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 am

Hi folks.

Thought I would sound you out about something that's been bugging me.

I don't know if you've ever setup Stylus RMX in a multi-out configuration but, if you have, you may have noticed that whenever you change a part it reverts it to output A. If your individual parts are going through other effects in the host (as mine often are) then this makes auditioning parts very tricky.

The only way around this is to turn off settings so that loading new parts doesn't carry change any of the part settings, only the sound. But this means you're not actually auditioning the parts.

I've been discussing this with Spectrasonics support, and it's also come up in the Yahoo group, because it doesn't seem like output channel settings should be part of the sound settings in the first place. In fact I've never seen a part with settings other than channel A.

Has anyone else come across this? Or have experience of when this behaviour was really useful?

Regards,

Matt

sandbags

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple outs and settings

Post  woodsdenis on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 am

sandbags wrote:Hi folks.

Thought I would sound you out about something that's been bugging me.

I don't know if you've ever setup Stylus RMX in a multi-out configuration but, if you have, you may have noticed that whenever you change a part it reverts it to output A. If your individual parts are going through other effects in the host (as mine often are) then this makes auditioning parts very tricky.

The only way around this is to turn off settings so that loading new parts doesn't carry change any of the part settings, only the sound. But this means you're not actually auditioning the parts.

I've been discussing this with Spectrasonics support, and it's also come up in the Yahoo group, because it doesn't seem like output channel settings should be part of the sound settings in the first place. In fact I've never seen a part with settings other than channel A.

Has anyone else come across this? Or have experience of when this behaviour was really useful?

Regards,

Matt

Totally agree with you Matt. a real PITA at times

Denis

woodsdenis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sandbags on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 am

Hi Denis.

woodsdenis wrote:
sandbags wrote:I've been discussing this with Spectrasonics support, and it's also come up in the Yahoo group, because it doesn't seem like output channel settings should be part of the sound settings in the first place. In fact I've never seen a part with settings other than channel A.

Totally agree with you Matt. a real PITA at times

Good to hear I'm not alone with this concern.

I asked the guy from Spectrasonics support that I was talking to whether he could clarify what the use case was. He said "he could see the other side" of my argument (which I took to mean that he saw a good rationale for the design being this way) but didn't actually elucidate what that other side was. I'm still waiting to hear back.

It's my hope, since Spectrasonics have been pretty good about making changes to RMX lately, that we might get some kind of an option without having to wait for a possible RMX 2.0.

If anyone else has a view on this, especially why the current behaviour is useful, it would be helpful to hear it.

Matt

sandbags

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil B on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:03 am

No real view on it, but perhaps a workaround would be to have a second instance of RMX loaded and do your auditioning in there. You could also save the first multi complete with FX etc and then load it into the second RMX. Then mute several of the parts and bring your new part in for audition.

I agree that output A is a nuisance at times, especially when soloing/mixing in a host like Cubase and you have to take into account the reverb etc from the Aux returns will be on a separate track.

Just my 2 penneth

Neil B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top