Midi control of patch changing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Midi control of patch changing

Post  andyscott on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 am

Hmm, so far I'm not exactly impressed. Hopefully I'm missing something.

I want to use buttons on my Novation controller to change patches. I can set this up but the info isn't remembered next time I load Omni. I can save a midi template but this means I have to load that template every time I load Omni and want to step through patches.

Likewise setting up any other controls - cutoff, etc.

Is there a way to do this without always having to load a template each time?

I'm on Logic 7.

Cheers,

Andy.

andyscott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Midi control of patch changing

Post  CrazyJack on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:14 pm

I too see that MIDI learn-ings are not remembered with my Patches.

BUT I see that they are remembered with my Multis (but be sure the "Ignore MIDI learn assignments" check mark is not checked in the Utility menu).

I think, therefore, that MIDI learn-ings are only rememberable from Multis; or from MIDI learn templates (but not Patches).

CrazyJack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:58 pm

It seems to me that they have chosen an unusual route for MIDI Learns.
From what I can see, any current CC learns are saved with the song. If one wishes to incorporate those settings in another song then the template must be saved/loaded.
The downsides so far are:
D1. You have to load templates into every new project.
D2. The parameter controls are not common to all Omnispheres loaded.... each one must be loaded with common templates to have any kind of uniformity.
D3. The 'last' set of templates loaded, which should stick to Omnisphere until the learns are edited, does not stick.
(different way of looking at D1, I suppose.)

The upsides, off the top of my head:
U1. This system of templates allows rapid reconfiguring of Omnisphere, which is essential considering the huge number of parameters that are available.
U2. The song always loads correctly, regardless of changes which, on a 'normal' system, would allow CCs to hit the wrong parameter. Omni will always assign the CCs exactly as you had them when the song was saved.

There's more, no doubt. Ultimately users will have to decide whether the pros outweigh the cons - or whether there is room for improvement in the learn system... like making CCs stick until a new template is loaded or the current status is edited.

Ade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andyscott on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:27 am

Seems to me (at this inexperienced point) that being able to assign steppers to buttons - whether multi, patch, or soundsource - are common across all and any Omni configurations and so really should be available as a permanent assignation. Being able to do it with multi's is good but the nitty gritty is in patches and soundsources.

andyscott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top