Arpeggiator

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arpeggiator

Post  JPB on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Hello.

I haven't yet upgraded (gotta talk my wife into it!) so I have a question about the Arpeggiator.

Just watching the brief display of it in the overview video I can't tell how you assign the individual tones (pitches). I understand about the rhythmic placement, and the horizontal bars controlling velocity, and how you can tie/group notes together, etc., but don't understand how the tones themselves are established.

Am I missing something about the way it works? Does this post even make sense? Shocked

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arpeggiator

Post  novata on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:26 am

Err, yes.

You cannot place pitch or tone placements. The notes are selected when you play your notes on your keyboard. You can select the pattern of the arpeggiator.
Up/Down/Random etc

This is how most arpeggiators work, though some do have semi-tone or tone +/- for variety, but not Omnisphere.
novata

View user profile http://novata.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  JPB on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Ah, okay - that explains it. I have a couple of other synths that do a lesser version of the same thing. I guess what I am thinking of would just be a case of creating a arpeggio as a musical pattern with typical MIDI data. It would be nice though, to be able to control the tonal construct of the arpeggio too. Err, don't you agree?

I am still eager, though, to check out how that feature works in Omnisphere - and am sure that I will love it.

Geeze - maybe I should just go ahead and order it and deal with the fallout after the fact?!! Very Happy I mean, what can my wife do? She's not gonna SHOOT me. (right?... RIGHT? Laughing )

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  docatlas on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:59 pm

While the arpeggiators' pitches are determined by the notes you play, you could use an envelope to modulate pitch; you should be able to adjust the envelope levels to make the pitches you want, and the sequence would transpose as you played different notes. The envelopes in Omnisphere are extremely capable of lots of things.

docatlas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPB on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Thanks for that.

I'll get to check it out for myself as I just broke down and ordered it today! Very Happy

(can't wait!!!)

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  klagga on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:37 am

Maybe you are looking for a step sequencer?

klagga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPB on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:43 pm

No - I just mistakenly assumed that an 'arrpegiator' would be a means by which to produce arpeggios.

ar-peg-gi-o (ar pej'e o'), n. pl. -gi-os 1. the sounding of the notes of a chord in rapid succession instead of simultaneously. 2. a chord thus sounded.

After watching the tutorials I understand what this function does - looks REALLY cool. But it is more of a means of producing rhythmic/velocity pattern variations on a per note basis, rather than bonified arrpegios. Can't wait to try it out though.

Thanks a lot for the responses.

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  docatlas on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:58 am

JPB wrote:No - I just mistakenly assumed that an 'arrpegiator' would be a means by which to produce arpeggios.

ar-peg-gi-o (ar pej'e o'), n. pl. -gi-os 1. the sounding of the notes of a chord in rapid succession instead of simultaneously. 2. a chord thus sounded.

After watching the tutorials I understand what this function does - looks REALLY cool. But it is more of a means of producing rhythmic/velocity pattern variations on a per note basis, rather than bonified arrpegios. Can't wait to try it out though.

Thanks a lot for the responses.

The arpeggiators in Omnisphere are set up like the ones in older hardware synths; they arpeggiate the notes you are holding down. Hold down 1 note, you will get just a rhythmic variation; hold down several notes, it will arpeggiate them, using the parameters you have set up, and whatever midi file (if any) you have dragged into the groovlock slot. The arpeggiators in Omnisphere most definitely do produce arpeggios, but they've got a lot more power than anything I've seen in any other synths.

docatlas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPB on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:02 pm

...which actually makes much more sense than how I was imagining it. Good thing I'm not a synth developer! Very Happy Thanks for taking the time to clear away my fog of confusion.

In between posting my silly post and now I have ordered it (it just got scanned into the depot yesterday!). Should arrive on Monday.

BTW - I have all three of their VIs (as well as all five Xpansion packs for RMX). I have always been in total awe of Eric and his team. Can't imagine making music without their products.

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  docatlas on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:51 am

JPB wrote:...which actually makes much more sense than how I was imagining it. Good thing I'm not a synth developer! Very Happy Thanks for taking the time to clear away my fog of confusion.

In between posting my silly post and now I have ordered it (it just got scanned into the depot yesterday!). Should arrive on Monday.

BTW - I have all three of their VIs (as well as all five Xpansion packs for RMX). I have always been in total awe of Eric and his team. Can't imagine making music without their products.

If you like Spectrasonics' other VIs, you're going to fall madly in love with Omnisphere. Hope your wife doesn't plan on seeing you for a while... Wink

docatlas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Got It!

Post  JPB on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:19 am

Omni arrived yesterday (sounds llike I am talking about a new son - and yeah, that would be a weird name, but not any more so than "Moon Unit" Smile )

WOW! Really unique sonic experience all the way around. It's hard to come up with something "new", with so much stuff on the market, but Eric and Co. definitely did it. The new browser alone was worth the update price - let alone all the stunning sounds. I am really motivated to look more deeply into the various editing features now(didn't do that so much with Atmosphere). So much core material to work with it really makes sense to get a better feel for what can be done with that too. But then the already huge sound set gets multiplied by 100!!! That wasn't an exaggeration, in one of the promo videos when Eric said it would take a lifetimes to explore all the possibilites.

Haven't looked into any version updates yet - still haven't even registered. But it is very unstable so far. I am getting a crash every few minutes. What's odd, too, is that they seem to happen at times when there isn't necessarily that much going on. I just get a sense that it isn't a system resource problem. I got up to use the bathroom and while I was gone, and it was sitting idle, it crashed! I'm using mine in Sonar (version 7).

I am happy to be patient while the bugs get worked out. I'm confident/hopeful that they will.

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 am

definetly get the updates.
a lot of windowsrelated issues have been fixed already and you get more than 1000 additional patches!

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Can't Take It

Post  JPB on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 am

Hans Scheffler wrote:definetly get the updates.
a lot of windowsrelated issues have been fixed already and you get more than 1000 additional patches!

Thanks, Hans. I was planning on doing that this morning.

Oh no. I had all day off yesterday and spent from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. exploring all the sounds features (making only a small dent). More patches? MORE PATCHES? NOOOOOOOO!!! Very Happy

BTW, Hans. You're 'Koto of the Gods' patch is, ... well, ... divine!

UPDATE: I did install those. MUCH better. Three hours into today's session and no crashes/glitches at all. BTW - the Arpeggiator is AMAZING. Gonna have to be careful not to wear it out. If I start trying to put it in symphonic pieces, I'll know it's getting out of hand! Shocked

JPB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum