A question on RAM.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A question on RAM.

Post  whiz bang on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:28 am

Okay, so I've had Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Ministry of Rock, Voices of Passion, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, and Storm Drum 2 all sitting in a pile waiting for me to get back from my eight month deployment in the pacific.
At home, I have Apple Logic running on an 8-Core Mac Pro with 2 GB of RAM, also stagnating while I've been out to sea. I can't actually complain much. I never would have been able to afford all of these gems if I were free to live normally.
But I digress. It's been said that Omnisphere will have trouble running on a dual core machine no matter how much RAM is in the computer because Omnisphere was intended to run machines newer than the dual core.
Basically, I'd like advice on whether or not it's necessary to upgrade my RAM so that I can handle both the STEAM and PLAY (for the aformentioned Quantum Leap products) engines simultaneously.
Thanks in advance,

am
whiz bang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A question on RAM.

Post  Hans Scheffler on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:44 am

i would strongly suggest that you get at least 4 GB of ram.
6 would be even better as that will give you some extra headroom for the system and maybe some other apps that you wanna run in the background like mail and dafari.
I have 10 GB in my 8 core of which about 50% are sitting idle because OSX still cant adress more than 3-4 GB to a single app.
I really hope that Snow Leopard will change that but that is still about 7 month in the future.

You should be aware that there are some potential conflicts between the Play engine and Omnisphere regarding the search feature in the Omnisphere browser.

best
Hans

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  whiz bang on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:26 am

Mr. Scheffler,

Great to hear from you!
I appreciate your feedback. As much as I'm trying to stem the rush of money flowing uncontrollably from my wallet, I believe I'll take your advice.
But what you said about the conflict concerns me. Could you elaborate?
Why would the search engines of two completely independent plug-ins get tangled up together? It seems odd.

Thanks again,

Andrew
whiz bang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Scheffler on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:14 am

AFAIK the cause of the conflict is actually the way Logic handles keystrokes in plugins.
How that affects the coexsistence of several plugins is beyond my humble knowhow but there were threads at KVR and NS that reported that there seems to be a problem when you use PLAY and Omnisphere in Logic.
Cant elaborate any further since i dont own any PLAY plugin.
Just wanted to make you aware of a potential problem when i read your post.

best
Hans

Hans Scheffler

View user profile http://www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger

Back to top Go down

Post  whiz bang on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:51 am

Well that's just dandy.

Logic is straying further and further away from it's namesake, in my opinion. I'll see what happens in the near future before I proselytize to another DAW.

Thanks for the heads up.

Andrew
whiz bang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum